The Fraternal Order of Eagles is an international non-profit organization uniting fraternally in the spirit of liberty, truth, justice, and equality, to make human life more desirable by lessening its ills and promoting peace, prosperity, gladness and hope.
The Owatonna Eagles Aerie was chartered on June 9, 1908 with 122 members. It was located on the 3rd floor of a building on North Cedar Street (which is now a dance studio) and later moved above the Hudson Garage across from the Arnold Hotel.
Keeping up with the times, the Ladies Auxiliary was chartered on March 20, 1949 with 71 members.
And so the Club Continued to grow. In 1958, with 365 members, the Owatonna Eagles Aerie asked the Grand Aerie for permission to purchase some property located on West Bridge Street and to remodel the building for a new Aerie home. The cost? Eighty-five thousand dollars. (That building is now occupied by Rain Soft Water Conditioner.) The property had never been developed and was gutted by a fire that same year. The Aerie was moved to the basement of a building on West Bridge Street, and plans were made and funds were raised to purchase the property at 141 East Rose Street, which is now the Home of the Eagles Aerie #1791. On New Years Eve 1965 the proud members opened the doors with a big celebration!
The F.O.E. was founded in February, 1898 by six theatre owners gathered in a Seattle shipyard to discuss a musician's strike. After addressing the matter, they agreed to "bury the hatchet" and form "The Order of Good Things." As numbers grew, members selected the Bald Eagle as the official emblem and changed the name to "The Fraternal Order of Eagles." The women's auxiliary traces its roots to 1927. The Fraternal Order of Eagles includes nearly 800,000 members and more than 1,500 locations across the United States and Canada. Stop by one of our locations and see why we're known as People Helping People.